The purpose of the Fat Bike Manitoba (FBM) website is to coordinate rides, races, events, and fat bike news, to celebrate what’s happened and share the fun all over again, to support trail development and other advocacy efforts, and to provide important technical information about fat biking for readers.
This site continues from the original ManitobaFatBike.com (MFB) blog created by Ian Hall and supported by other active members in the Manitoba fat biking community. MFB blog posts have been archived into FBM. We have added category tags to archived items and new FBM posts in order to aid searching for specific information. The history, lessons-learned, techniques and cool ideas arising from fat biking in Manitoba are saved here and are accessible to all.
Fat biking has been exploding in popularity around the globe for several years now. Here in Manitoba fat biking has grown steadily since 2012. Rider numbers kicked up a notch after the Actif Epica Race in 2012 on Manitoba’s Crow Wing Trail. The 2014 Fat Bike Birkie race in Cable, Wisconsin, where 500 fat bikers lined up on the world famous Birkebeiner ski trail, showed Manitobans what the tourism, trail development and active health potential is for local fat biking.
Even in the dead of night, our numbers continue to grow with regular trail rides.
On weekends, we travel to Manitoba’s parks for more fun …
One of our more extreme fat bike adventures, the Polar Bear Double Crossing of Lake Winnipeg, showed us what could be done on one of the most challenging, and glorious, lakes on the continent.
Our Winnipeg Global Fat Bike Day Rides in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 were great success stories! Against the stunning back drop of the Manitoba Human Rights Museum at the Forks, even more fat bikers connected, shared stories and tips, and became motivated to explore the trails, locations and events in and around Manitoba.
We strive to
– coordinate fat biking in Manitoba by facilitating the arranging of rides, events and races;
– celebrate the fun through stories, pictures and video distribution;
– promote major fat biking events and races in Manitoba, the mid-western U.S., and around the world;
– provide important technical information about fat biking for readers.
– support all people and entities connected to fat biking, while remaining impartial and neutral towards to specific bike shops or businesses!
– refuse product advertising by businesses or persons on the FBM website.
– accept advertising or promotion of rides, events and races that are connected with a business or bike shop. Send us your event details with links and posters! Please feel free to make posts describing your ride, event or race plans.
– moderate posts and other communications for inappropriate content and language.
We wish to
– encourage any fat biker to share adventures, enthusiasm and lessons-learned by posting through ride, event and race reports, or other stories, pictures, videos and comments.
– invite fat biking Manitobans to become contributors (posters) to the FBM website by simply sending an email (see Contact).
We reserve the right to moderate posts by suggesting changes, making corrections or removing posts or comments that are objectionable, contain advertising, or harass, insult or bully others. In extreme cases, We may remove or deny access to the FBM website.